Here’s a set of free letter W worksheets for preschool children. These educational activities are a fun way for young children to work on letters of the alphabet.
Recently, I started a new series of alphabet worksheets that started with the letter A. This week I wanted to add great letter W activities to the alphabet series that will eventually include the whole alphabet. Do you have a letter of the week curriculum? If so, these letter W printables will be the perfect addition.
- letter identification
- letter sound recognition
These FREE Printable Letter W Worksheets include:
- Color the Letter Printable Worksheet
- Alphabet Tracing (capital letters and lower case letters)
- Color the Letter Sound
- Large Letters to make a lacing card or to uses with dot markers
Color the Letter Page
This free printable letter W worksheet focuses on identifying a specific upper case letter. With young students, they are still working on visual discrimination. These letter worksheets are a great way to practice letter recognition. The letter W fun coloring pages only includes an uppercase W for that reason. Find the correct letter you are hunting for and color the picture.
Alphabet Tracing Worksheets
There are two letter W tracing worksheets in the printable packs. One practice worksheet that includes only an uppercase letter W and the other includes a lowercase letters row for children that are ready or interested.
Line tracing takes a lot of fine motor skills for young learners. That’s why I only added 6 letters to each page of the capital letter W tracing letters pages. There is also a page that includes a lowercase letter w.
If your child or student wants a little extra practice, I recommend tracing the letters with a highlighter first and then trace again with a pencil. That will give you double the amount of practice.
Letter Sounds Worksheets
In these free printable worksheets you are hunting for simple pictures that start with the corresponding letter W sound. When you find one that starts with the sound of the letter W, color it in. This is practicing letter-sound correspondence
With this practice sheet, you might need to sit with some children and stretch out the word with them so they can hear the beginning letter sounds. This worksheet might also be helpful for kindergarten students who need extra practice.
Large Letters with Dot Markers
You can use these free printable activities in a variety of ways to make learning fun. Refer to the list below. These educational activities will help strengthen fine motor skills. It will also help children become familiar with the letter shape and formation of the letter.
Different Ways to Work with Large Letter W Worksheets:
- Stamp them with a dot marker.
- Put small stickers on the dots.
- Place a mini eraser or button in each circle.
- Punch the circles with a hole puncher and turn it into a lacing card. Lace the ribbon up and down through the holes along the letter.
- Use it as a punching card. Give your child a thumbtack (They can do it!) Start at the top of the letter like you would if you were writing it and poke the thumbtack in the middle of each circle as you form the letter.
Creative Alphabet Activities
Alphabet activities don’t have to only be on paper! Try these different activities with your students for the entire alphabet. This collection of letter W activities will bring joy and laughter to learning.
- Write letters with your finger in shaving cream. It is a fun way to practice letter formation with a sensory experience.
- Try a game of alphabet basketball (using ping pong balls). Ball games are a great idea and so much fun for active children!
- Paper Plate Alphabet Crafts A to Z are fun crafts that are simple to make.
- Make and Explore Alphabet Constellations
- Alphabet Toilet Paper Tube Crafts from A to Z include letter W crafts.
- Write the letter W on the ceiling using a flashlight or laser pen.
- Draw the letter W with chalk on the driveway. Then, drive cars on it, hop along it, or spray water to erase it.
12 Letter W Words
Here are 12 simple words that start with the /w/ sound.
Play a quick game with younger children to see if they are hearing the beginning letter sound. Say, “Stand up (or give me a thumbs up) if you hear a word that starts with /w/. Sprinkle these words in with other words that do not start with W. Use this as in informal assessment to see who it is clicking for.
Download the Preschool Letter W Worksheets
You can start at the Letter A worksheets!
Give these Preschool Letter B worksheets a try.
Continue with the Letter C Worksheets.
Have fun with the Letter D Worksheets.
Try the Letter E Worksheets.
Explore the Letter F Worksheets
Move on to the Letter G Worksheets
Continue with the Letter H Worksheets
Try the Letter I Worksheets.
Have fun with the Letter J Worksheets.
Give these Preschool Letter K Worksheets a try.
Continue with the Letter L worksheets.
Try the Letter M Worksheets.
Give these Letter N Worksheets a try.
Have fun with the Letter O Worksheets.
Give these letter P worksheets a try.
Try the Letter Q Worksheets.
Have fun with the Letter R Worksheets.
Now how about the Letter S Worksheets!
Work on the Letter T Worksheets.
Try the Letter U Worksheets!
Give these Letter V Worksheets a try.
Next, I will share the Preschool Letter X Worksheets.