These ladybug alphabet mats are a great way for young children to practice letter recognition and letter sounds. Use these alphabet printables in a literacy center, in busy bags, or as a lesson in your insect theme curriculum.
How to Prepare the Alphabet Activity
- Print the alphabet mats (at the bottom of the post).
- Laminate or use a page protector for extra durability.
- Use manipulatives such as buttons, bingo chips, pom poms, or alphabet beads.
- Challenge your child or student to say the name of a letter and cover it with a manipulative.
- Continue to name letters and cover them until the cute ladybug is covered.
For an extra challenge, say the letter sound and cover the letter.
Picking up the pom poms or buttons provides the opportunity for practice with fine motor skills. Bonus!
Turn it into a letter match activity by writing a letter on each button or bingo chip. Then match the letters to the letter mat.
Use these as an independent activity during center time or for a small group.
One set of mats includes only capital letters and the second set of mats includes lowercase letters. Only start using the lower case letters when a student is fluent with identifying capital letters.
These little ladybugs are also a fun way to informally assess a student’s letter knowledge and have a great time together doing it. Whether you are a home educator or a teacher in the classroom, we hope you love this great resource as much as we do!
Download the Ladybug Alphabet Mats Here
More Ladybug Printables
Try these ladybug puzzles for number identification, counting, and experience with tally marks and ten frames.
Learn about the life cycle of a ladybug from 1 plus 1 plus 1 equals 1.
Ladybug playdough mats from PreKinders look really fun too!