Kids of all ages love these alphabet mystery picture puzzles! Reveal the hidden pictures as you match the puzzles pieces to the correct letters of the alphabet.
It is a fun way to get extra practice with letter recognition of uppercase letters and lowercase letters. These 30 piece puzzles are so much fun for small groups, morning work, or literacy centers. The giraffe alphabet puzzle includes capital letters and the tiger puzzle includes lowercase letters.
- letter recognition
- visual discrimination
- alphabetical order
- fine motor development
- Print the picture puzzles.
- You will need a blank alphabet grid page and an animal page (color or black and white).
- Tip: Color seems to be easier to work with for young children. If you print a black and white page, you can color it yourself or have the child color it and then tell them you are cutting it into a puzzle for them. Even though they have seen the picture, the challenge of putting it back together is exciting.
- Cut apart the puzzle pieces (the page with the animal on it).
- Challenge your students to match the letter and use a glue stick to glue each letter piece onto the puzzle mat.
Laminate the puzzle mat and puzzle pieces. Put a small piece of velcro on each piece and square of the puzzle mat. You could also use magnets. Put the puzzle mat on a vertical surface (wall or easel) and have the children work together to complete the puzzle. Having it on a vertical surface is good for shoulder strength and wrist rotation. This option is great for young children because they can match a piece or two and come back to it later or have classmates help too.
Instead of cutting the puzzle into 30 individual pieces, cut them into rows for a quicker and easier option.
Make a clue card to go with the mystery picture. This picture starts with /t/ or this animal can be seen at the zoo.
Store pieces of puzzles in a ziplock or container so they don’t get lost. Label them with a 1 or 2 and then put the corresponding number on the back of the puzzle mat.
Download the Alphabet Mystery Pictures HERE
More Preschool Alphabet Activities
Are you looking for more fun activities? Here are more great ideas to make working with letters fun.
Free Alphabet Playdough Mats from A to Z
Your superhero lover will have so much fun with these superhero alphabet matching activities!
Check out our series of Preschool Alphabet Worksheets. They are free for each letter of the alphabet.
Use your dot markers with these Alphabet Dot Marker Pages from A to Z!